How do you remove mould from a house ?

Mould can be a real source of health problems for the occupants of a house. Mould is a fungus that can spread rapidly if not treated in time. It can cause respiratory problems, allergies, skin and eye irritations, and possibly infections. So it's a big enough problem to get rid of as soon as possible. Find out here how to get rid of mould.

Identifying the causes of mould

The first step in getting rid of mould in the home is to identify the causes of its occurrence. Mould grows in environments that are exposed to a very important source of moisture.  A poorly ventilated or constantly wet room can become a breeding ground for mould growth. The most common sources of moisture in a home are water leaks, water infiltration, condensation, and water damage.

Once the source is discovered, it is important to treat it before dealing with the mould. If you do not proceed in this order, mould will quickly reappear even if you temporarily remove it. It is therefore essential to investigate and repair any source of moisture before proceeding with mould remediation.

Cleaning affected surfaces

Once you have identified the cause of the mould and repaired any source of moisture, it is time to clean the affected surfaces. To clean up the mould, you will need protective gloves, a respirator, goggles and a bucket of hot water. In addition, you will need a specific mould remover, a stiff brush and a clean cloth.

Before you start cleaning the mould, make sure you protect yourself properly with gloves, mask and goggles. For effective cleaning, it is recommended to follow the product instructions. Use the stiff bristle brush to gently scrub the mould affected surfaces. Avoid applying excessive pressure when cleaning to preserve the condition of the surfaces. Wipe the brush regularly in the bucket of hot water to remove the fungus.

Once you have cleaned all the mildewed surfaces, use a clean cloth to wipe off excess water and cleaner and ensure that the surfaces are completely dry before using them again.

Ventilating rooms

Ventilation is important to remove moisture from the air and to prevent mould growth. Open windows and doors to allow fresh air to circulate in the rooms. If you have controlled mechanical ventilation (CMV), make sure it is working properly. CMVs renew indoor air by exhausting stale air to the outside and bringing in fresh air. If your house does not have one, please install one to prevent moisture and mould problems.

Preventing mould

It is important to take preventive measures to avoid mould in your home. Here are some simple steps you can take to prevent mould:

  • Check pipes and taps regularly for water leaks. Fix leaks as soon as possible; 
  • Make sure damp rooms, such as bathrooms and kitchens, are well ventilated. Use exhaust fans or open windows when showering or cooking;
  • Avoid leaving standing water in the house. Dry wet surfaces, damp clothes, wet carpets and the like as soon as possible;
  • Maintain a comfortable temperature in the house. Low temperatures can lead to condensation and humidity;
  • Use dehumidifiers to remove excess moisture from the air. Dehumidifiers can be useful in poorly ventilated or damp rooms, such as basements or bathrooms.

Calling in a professional

If you have significant mould in your home, or if you have recurring dampness problems, it is best to contact a professional. They can carry out a thorough assessment of your home to identify the underlying causes of the mould and damp. They can then suggest solutions to prevent their recurrence. Professionals can also perform a thorough mould clean-up to ensure complete removal.